Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cocoa Fritters




I have always thought of making fritters with cocoa!
If we can combine flour, sugar and salt, whip into a batter, dunk ripe sliced bananas (as a true blue Malayalee loves to do) and fry in hot oil, why mind stirring in a heaped tablespoon of cocoa and forget the fruit slices?
How would it taste?
I wondered whether such a recipe existed! But I badly wanted to bite into the perfectly fried crisp outsides, softer insides and enjoy the bursting flavour of cocoa and cardamom (crazy me)( or was I craving for a combo of chocolate and cardamom?)
well, once this kind of craving strikes, it makes me whizz like the character in  some video game powered by the energizer,who flies for seconds, favouring the player.

The google search results didn't disappoint me. Such a recipe did exist in some part of the world :)
Within minutes I savoured the sizzling hot Cocoa Fritters!



Cocoa Fritters 

 Makes around 35-40 bite sized fritters
 Time needed- 15-20 minutes
 Referral post


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (unsweetened) cocoa powder
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I used 1/4 tsp cooking soda)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk (start with half cup, add little by little until you get the right consistency)
1 large egg, whipped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Vegetable oil, for deep frying

 For dusting the fritters
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional - I didn't use )


Method:



In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. Beat the milk, egg and vanilla extract, separately.




Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine. Set aside while you heat the oil.




Heat oil. Bring it to the temperature below the smoking point. This is important to cook the fritters rightly.Or else they get burnt outside and uncooked inside.

Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of batter for each fritter into the oil. Use a very small ice cream/dough scoop if you have one.Work in batches, and do not crowd the pan. Fry for a few seconds per side, flipping gently once. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.




Allow fritters to cool to room temperature. Sift the powdered sugar (and cocoa powder if you prefer) over the them.



Serve immediately.






The fritters swell a bit while frying and are crisp while hot but get softer after cooled.They are not sweet enough. So the dusted sugar is essential which compliments.

Hot cocoa fritters with vanilla ice cream sounds a good dessert too :)



17 comments:

  1. I didn't know such a thing existed! Now that I know, this will definitely be a monthly treat for us! :)
    Lovely clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hA ITS REALLY VERY INTERESTING ONE... LOVELY FRITTERS...
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so tempting cannot take my eyes off it
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so new to me!!! cocoa fritters - never even heard of it!!! looks delicious!!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - SYF&HWS - Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cocao fritters that quite attractive and very tempting, feel like munching some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fritters looks YUM !! lovely idea !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just sounds creative :) I once made chocolate paniyaram and loved it now this bajji is damn tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just a fantasy.. they r so good..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cocoa fritters sounds too tempting... will try this soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe. I tried this one today for a after school snack. It was a super hit and I had to make another batch :) The only modification I made was to add some ginger extract to the mix. I like the ginger-chocolate combo and since it is winter I try to add as much ginger to the diet as possible. I plan to try cinnamon-ginger powder combo next. The options are limitless and the chocolate fritters are yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!sounds inviting and innovative,fritters look so tempting and the clicks are awesome as always...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. All i can say is just wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice dessert idea...but don't tempt me...I want to stick to my new year resolution! The photo of the fritters frosted with sugar is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound really interesting...like something I used to have as a kid called zeppoli. Little fried cinnamon sugar fritters served with chocolate, caramel, or coffee flavored sauces. Definitely going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...