Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Rava Kesari


Rava Kesari


I have been a sporadic blogger for the year. After my daughter's marriage, I had to take all my efforts to bring myself  back here. At least the festivals propelled much! Now that the pompous Diwali just around the corner has left me in my mom's house, 'in no cooking mood but lots of time in hand' mode, I decided to make one of the easiest sweets, Rava Kesari.
Mom happily agreed to share her version and this is how we made just a few hours back :)



Rava Kesari


Rava Kesari
For 20 squares
Total time needed - 20 minutes


Ingredients:

Sooji / Rava - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Water - 3 to 3 and a half cups
Yellow kesari color - 2 pinches
Cardamom/elaichi Powder - 2 fat pinches
Cashews and raisins - a few

Method:


Rava Kesari

Heat 1/4 cup ghee in a non-stick (preferable) or a thick bottomed kadai. Measure rava and keep ready. Fry halved cashews until golden brown followed by raisins for a few seconds until they plump up. You may not need to remove them. Just dump in rava ( frothes up in hot ghee) and sauté for a few seconds. Thus you are roasting it.


Rava Kesari

Stir in the measured water. Add food colour dissolved in a teaspoon of water. Stir all the time to avoid lumps. Let the rava cook for 3 minutes in low fire. Add sugar and stir to combine.(This is important. Addition of sugar should be after the rava is cooked well, or else rava remains grainy  and uncooked)


Rava Kesari

Stir along cardamom powder. Keep stirring not allowing the mass to get stuck at the bottom. By this time the kesari turns into a glossy mass. Transfer to a tray or a one inch deep plate.


Rava Kesari

Let it cool completely and cut into squares or diamonds .Transfer to your plate and enjoy!


Rava Kesari

 Wishing You A Very Happy Deepavali!

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you yesterday and was wondering why I have not visited your blog for a while. So here is the chance! Kesari looks yummilicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics itself are mouthwatering and I'm sure it's going to be a great tasty dish from you. I have not tested it before and would like to give it a chance in my next kitchen experiments. I do work for a resume writing service known as Resume Plus and I get my skills in cooking tested during free hours, not so often but at least something will be done every month. I hope to have it cooked sooner rather than later. Thanks a lot for several good recipe lists and keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...