Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Semia / Vermicelli Upma




I have been keeping the recipe typed and the pictures of this post drafted for the past 4 days ever since amma made, back home and I had been wondering what to type for the intro part! Oh yeah, most of the times my mind gets blocked when it comes to this and badly want to proceed to the recipe directly..

So, this what amma made for breakfast in a jiffy and I loved the preparation though not a fan of regular upmas or even semia upmas. I had wanted to post the step by step for this one but was away for the morning walk and by the time I came back amma had arranged the food in the glass bowl asking me to take the picture :)

And now for the recipe part she had gotten ready with:

Roasted vermicelli- 200 gms or 3 cups +/-
Water- 500 ml
Salt- as needed

To Season

Oil- 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Urad dal- 1/2 tsp
Ginger, minced finely- 1/2 tsp
Green chillies- 3, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - a sprig
Chopped coriander - to garnish
Freshly grated coconut - 2 tbsps (optional; tis the Kerala way)

 Method:

Heat oil to season in a non stick kadai, splutter mustard seeds, brown the urad dal, followed by the minced ginger and the green chillies. Stir for a few seconds and throw in the curry leaves. Now pour the water. Bring it to boil, adding salt.Stir in the vermicelli  stirring to combine the whole ingredients taking care not to form any lumps and close the kadai with a lid. Reduce the flame and cook until done. The semia would have cooked soft absorbing the water and  see to it the strands aren't sticky and stay separate. Top the Upma with the freshly grated coconut ( which is purely optional), yes she used it, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney.




Variations

You may add onions while seasoning. A large big onion sliced lengthwise will be apt for the mentioned amount of vermicelli. Saute the onion after ginger and green chillies and proceed...


20 comments:

  1. My ever green favorite breakfast!! tomorrow morning I decided now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and lovely looking upma. Excellent clicks.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. my all time favorite breakfast, my mom sometimes also adds scrambled egg to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today and here you are with ur post :) This is my fav too...looks perfectly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love vermicelli upma. Make it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so tempted seeing ur vermicilli upma that if u don't mind can I just grab it up quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super tempting upma, makes me hungry..well done dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fast nad easy snack, very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its been a long time i made this. crave for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So delicious........
    rosesandgifts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. have tried this........good
    ahmedabadonnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the only upma that I enjoy and eat :) Loveee it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tasty upma looks delicious.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Upma..but my hubby does not ove it :( I will try your version

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...