Friday, March 15, 2013

100 Days in Namakkal (Part 1of 2)


I do not know how many of you had heard about this town, located in the valleys of the Kolli Hills but am sure you would fall in love with this place if you do not wish the buzz of cities and hesitate to step down, too rural. The charming town has the fresh atmosphere, affectionate inmates and everything about the goodness of a village parallely sophisticated  for a town living person.
I know it is just putting all the good things together, though a fact should admit that I enjoy every single moment being here!

Today marks the 100th day of my stay in this cute town. To celebrate this, I planned to visit the major spots of the town.
Honestly, I was awed to learn about the historic importance of the town only while preparing this post. If only the government took some measures to encourage the tourism in this place!

Namakkal is one of its kind!


IMG_1274



You can never miss this majestic fort if you happen to be in Namakkal.
The historical Malaikkottai or the Rock Fort is in the middle of the town. The small town has expanded around this fort, over the years.
More about the history of the fort is here.


IMG_1278

A close up shot of the entrance up the fort.
The maximum my lens could zoom with me stuck to the same position as the previous image.



Your Namakkal visit is incomplete without the darshan of the18 feet tall Anjaneyar.The 'alangaram' is done on festivals, which I couldn't witness during my stay. This picture is from here.



IMG_1306



Very near to the Hanuman temple is the Sri Namagiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple built in the 8th century, that is, 1300 years ago!


IMG_1303

Entrance to the shrine


IMG_1308

I presume this Garuda, on the temple wall.


IMG_1287

Vetrilai Maalai or the betel leaves garland for the deity.


IMG_1299

Ney Vilakku or diyas filled with ghee are said to be an important offering to the Temple Goddess.


IMG_1283

The board in front of a temple side shop which sells more offerings for the deities!



IMG_1317

Ganesha temple at one end of the street facing the temples at the other end



IMG_1314

and located in the middle of the street is Sree Aadhi Parashakthi Thirumanamandapam, the age old marraige hall that has witnessed thousands of weddings.


IMG_1222

The golden roasted puffed rice are the speciality of the town!


IMG_1255

The sweetened and coloured rice puff balls are a delicacy.
*though we would dare to sample ;)*


IMG_1415

Namakkal Selamba Kounder Poonga is a well organised park in the middle of the town.


IMG_1422

Its location at the foot of the castles makes the park all the more, attractive!


IMG_1411

The well organised park is madly crowded in the evenings and I was surprised to see the park maintained well and clean in the morning when I shot this!


Twenty feet aside the park is the Uzhavar Santhai or the farmer's market.


IMG_1444

The market was about to get packed up when I entered around 8.45 in the morning. Ponnamma was seriously counting her day's sales when got a bit distracted looking up at me.


IMG_1432

The banana section was at full swing, though.


U1

The girl who was selling brooms and coriander leaves vanished, packing her goodies.
But Shivakami got lucky. All in a minute!


U

Muniamma at stall no:14 still has a few bundles of her drumsticks and bottle gourds to be sold while Nadesan at stall 15 had sold off the last scrap!


IMG_1446

                  ....and we are DONE!!


I wanted to buy 1/2 kg of country tomatoes, which I got for Rs 5 ( it was 3 kg per kilo; I refused to take the change) He was so honest a farmer and insisted me to take his specially grown brinjals.
A bundle of 3 drumsticks cost Rs 3 and a bunch of country cilantro (nattu malli), Rs 4 (which the lady buyer beside me was arguing at the top of her voice for selling in an exhorbitant price ;))....
..a few green chillies, a bottle gourd, ladies finger and bananas..my whole week's vegetable and fruit purchase was thus rounded off at Rs 20 from Uzhavar Santhai !!


U2

This old lady caught my attention! She was sitting under the tree near the entrance selling small packets of jasmine buds, but I noticed her only while hurrying out. The camera was almost running out of charge when Pappamma spoke to me so pleasantly and refused to smile totally complaining her shabby hair when the lens kissed the pretty wrinkled face before blacking out!
Bought a couple of her jasmine packets and exit the market. Couldn't help smiling loving her sweet stubbornness :)




IMG_1266

The town has countless fast food and drinks on wheels . I was awed to see ladies selling hot breakfast on such small mobile vehicles in the mornings


IMG_1392


The Manikoondu or the bell tower is the major land mark, located right amidst the town, is a memorial for freedom fighters, built in 1945 by Sri.Pethanna.


Kathiyindri rathamindri Yudhamondru varukuthu
Sathiyathin nithiyathai nambum yarum seruveer




Namakkal Kavingar Ramalingam Pillai's patriotic songs were the 'blood boilers' for the young freedom fighters of those days!
The town is proud of the great poet. The Tamilnadu Govt. Secretariat at Chennai, shortly known as "Kottai", is named after him.






IMG_1394

Back in the mid town, turn 180 deg of the bell tower, to capture the busiest junction of the town! The over bridges are said to be recent constructions to favour the pedestrians


IMG_1400


If you ever visit the town, don't miss to peep into the road side shops in the evenings..


IMG_1407

Namakkal parottas are quite famous.
I was offered a hot parotta right from the griddle and I fell in love with the crispy outsides and the soft insides! It was one of the most delicious parathas I've honestly ever had!!
One of my cousins in the town had been telling about the love affair of Namakkal  inmates with these parottas. They love to have them even for breakfast!

I don't know how far it is true but am eager to hear the comment of a 'Namakkalian' who would probably read this post :)



I'm lucky enough to be in the town, hardly for another 10 days and am planning to visit the Saturday market and poultry farms which are again something special about the town, this weekend for shopping and shots.

Will do a 'part-2 post' about it soon!

Thanks to Gopal anna, my brother-in-law, who hails from Namakkal, for the information and support.

23 comments:

  1. lovely parottos ! wish to visit for anjaneyar temple !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Bharathy! I wish to do something like this for Kumbakonam. I have visited all the three temples mentioned on this post :) Yaaay to US ( Uzhavar Sandhai)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bharathy, i am in town towards the end of march and hoping it will be the Thaer festival time. I was planning this kind of a photo walk with Niki. You have inspired me to love this town more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics and a great post.. Waiting for Part 2.. Should tell my mom about the temples... She would plan her next trip to Namakkal !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bharathy you want me to go there :)! The fort reminds me of Jinji fort which I saw on my way to Pondi from Blr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not heard of this place before..Excellent write up..Must visit it sometime..The photos are excellent..
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful write up and amazing pictures, never had a chance to visit the park after it was completed. Hope you are enjoying your stay there. Waiting for part 2! Also thanks for the tag in fb :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post.Thanks for sharing.Waiting for next part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A heart warming post, Bharathy....makes me feel that I know this town though I've never been there. The uzhavar santhai pics are what I like the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pics reminded me of India . Feel like visiting soon
    http://followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. tnx for the virtual tour.loved all the clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am from Namakkal and enjoyed your blog. Good pictures, nostalgic memories, felt like just been to those places. Puffed rice (masala/spicy version) is my favorite, a pleasant surprise to see it in your list. Great blog and keep up your good work. Looking forward to your part 2 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous gorgeous Namakkal, loved the little town, it's people and your post! Looking forward to more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, so nice and organised review of this place. Felt as if i myself had travelled after reading...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh mine i had a small tour all the way reading that wonderful writing---the pic that made me smile and sad was(women waiting without customer for her veggies and a minute later its about 3 to buy) - That pic did speak....wonderful bharathy-am waiting for the part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard about the famous schools in this town, but not all these details. Thanks for the detailed post with beautiful pictures. In fact, I enjoyed the uzhavar santhai photos very much Bharathy! :)


    நான் கோவை வந்திà®°ுந்தப்ப எங்கூà®°் சந்தையை ஃபோட்டோஸ் எடுத்து (தமிà®´்)ப்ளாகில் போஸ்ட் பண்ணியிà®°ுந்தேன், அந்த நினைவுகள் வந்துà®°ுச்சு உங்க பதிவுகள் பாà®°்த்ததுà®®்! நாமக்கல் ஆட்கள் வெட்கப்படாà®® அழகா pose குடுத்திà®°ுக்காà®™்க உங்களுக்கு! :) 2வது பகுதிக்கு காத்திà®°ுக்கிà®±ேன்.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Bharathy:
    Loved each and every pic. Especially the beautiful senior in purple sari selling the Jasmine. Her face holds her life hostory. Loved the Farmer's Market, fort and the Parotta story. Looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pictures with wonderful write up

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed reading the post..really good work. Looking forward to the next part...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, Excellent write-up. It reminded me of my childhood days when I used to travel from a neighbouring village Mohanur to Namakkal to do my schooling, 3rd, 4th and 5th in Kandasamy Kandar school back then in 1980. Those were one of my best moments in life. Green fields, non-polluted air, Rajini Kamal movies etc. I would love to visit this place again whenever I visit my home place Coimbatore.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely pics and great post...i wish to see Nammakal in our next visit to India...i likes the Uzhavar Santhai pics especially pappammas photo... felt that as if i am travelled with you..really enjoyed your post,Bharathy...your pics shows us their lifestyle,how they are earning money etc...noticed these ladies doesn't wear a small gold ornaments..we are always looking for new fashion dress n ornaments.really an eye opener...waiting for second part...Hope u really enjoying your stay there...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I came to this post from your part 2 post. Great pictures. Loved the sandhai, as a kid I always accompany my grandma to our village sandhai, brought back memories...I used to admire the clay pots shops in some corner of the sandhai..do they have such shops still?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super, Bharathy. Years ago my husband happened to visit Namakkal en route to another place and was delighted with the town. By the way, aren't those soft white wood statues famous here? :-) I have a Ganesha. I forget what the wood is called.

    Thanks - I loved the "trip" through your camera!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...