Friday, October 28, 2011

Kutti Kathrikkai Podi Curry / Stuffed & Stir-fried Baby Brinjals







I learnt this recipe from my ma in law. This had been a special dish reserved for special lunches as the process was considered elaborate in a joint family. We used to stuff  more than 50 brinjals, yet we enjoyed doing this as we always did this together and never felt tiring as we would have thought about it before we started.
The dish turns out perfect every time we make it and unlike the other dishes, this one is relished from the youngest till the oldest in the family! Even the brinjal haters enjoy this!

Preparation of the dish is never an elaborate one, if you start with a dozen or even two of those baby brinjals. The powder can be made prior and can be stored until you make the stir-fry and hence this becomes as easy as any vegetable side dish you make any day!

 You Need: 
(to serve a family of four)


Baby brinjals /kutty kathrikkai -25 numbers (weighs330 gms / about 3/4 lbs)

For the powder for stuffing, (yields 1/2 cup)

Oil- a tsp
Coriander seeds / kothamalli -  1/4 cup scant
Bengal gram dal / kadalai paruppu - 1/4 cup scant
Red chillies/ kayntha milagai 4-5 numbers
Curry leaves / karuveppilai - 2 sprigs
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp (optional) I didn't add

To Season,

1-2 tbsps of oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp urad dal
2-3 tbsps of thinly sliced small onions
2 sprigs of curry leaves

Now, for the step by step method...



Drizzle a tsp of oil in your thick bottomed wok and fry the coriander seeds, dal, chillies and curry leaves all added together  in medium heat ...




until done.




Pulse into a coarse powder adding salt.
Ah!well, I used my Ammikkallu to powder as I had a power shut down while making lunch!
I can't tell you how much I hate doing this but had no other go even while I accept the perfectness of hand pounded powders!




So now, you need to slit the baby brinjals as you see here. Check for worms while you do this and slice away the portions if you come across any!




Stuff the slits with the powder, as much as you can.




and arrange them carefully on your steamer plate with the brinjals placed horizontally or the stuffed sides slightly up. I used my rice cooker and idly steamer plate combo for steam cooking.




 Close with an appropriate lid to lock the steam while cooking.




Check after 10 minutes. The brinjals should have turned soft




and the purple ones would have turned ash green as well. Scroll up to that picture where I've arranged them before steaming and you can notice the difference in colour!



For seasoning, heat oil in the previous wok, crackle the mustard seeds, brown the urad dal, sauté onions and curry leaves and stir in the brinjals sautéing for a minute . The caramelized onions and the curry leaves coat the brinjals and the flavour is irresistible!




The stove top brinjals could not be photographed well while seasoning because of poor lighting. So here's a quick view of the finished dish placed on the counter edge.



Stuffed brinjals are served best with steamed rice and Indian breads!



But did I tell you I love to have them as a starter drenched in hot and sweet tomato chilly ketchup??

I could hardly wait to devour this one as soon the shot got over! ;)

27 comments:

  1. I so so love brinjals and this curry looks so flavourful and yummy, luved the clicks esp the last before one :) I just want to grab those baby brinjals from the screen....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite veggie,looks very tempting and nice idea of steaming the stuffed brinjals,never seen this way before any where else. At least let me drool at your pictures coz, I rarely cook them now a days .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very ingenious preparation.Luv this steamed Brinjal podi Curry.Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a big fan of brinjal but still love this wonderful dish..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such unique dishes that I like. I have never seen a preparation like this before and thanks for sharing Bharathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steaming them is a nice idea and also helps in consuming less oil...looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks absolutely delishhhhhhhhhh! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!!! Those brinjals look so inviting. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my...these are super delicious!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and like the idea of steam cooking,I make it in the pressure pan for one whistle but steaming the brinjals is a nice idea.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! Even I steam the stuffed brinjals before cooking it. I use a steamer and idly plates are a nice idea too. Never thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. woww.. curry looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bharathy, love this recipe I am so going to do this , loved your idea of steaming in idli cooker, I always pressure cook which makes brinjals fall apart, also never knew you give thadka after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Semma tasty.... ponga,no words....romba romba pidichuiruku ....asusual amazing clicks.Really we missed ur diwali recipes,hope u had a very busy schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy I too make this curry off and on as it is our hot favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg, am drooling rite now,seriously tempting curry..

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved the steaming process......umm healthy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steaming brinjals sounds so good. I should try this next time soon. and your second pic with the close up of stuffed brinjal is breath taking !
    superb recipe

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the way you cooked these lovely little eggplants. I am following you after writing this comment.
    Do visit my blog AT http://simpleglutenfreekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh...it's too tempting...luv these baby brinjals..thanks for the lovely recipe and clicks of course !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow..Cute lil brinjals r cooked to perfect...this is my fav veg,nice tip on steaming them..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love stuffed Brinjals, but never tried making it myself :) will definitely give this a try..

    ReplyDelete
  23. cant wait to try them..just reading them sents me drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is so tempting! I love brinjals! thanks for the lovely recipe! going to look for small brinjals asap:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It turned out to be perfect! Steaming them was the best tip as it consumed less oil!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Gauri :) glad that you liked it!
    These days I stuff the powder after steaming, which is turns out to be more flavorful. Also renders easy stuffing..
    You can possibly try this next time :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...