Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jam Tarts






The reason for postponing to make Sweet Punch's jam tarts to the last moment was solely because I felt my son would absolutely love it!  He loved the flavour of Kissan's mixed fruit jam as an infant and later as a teen enjoyed Britannia's Jim Jam or any such jam filled/centred biscuits.
Eventually I was planning to make these cuties last week when he was around for the holidays and unfortunately I was having a much hectic time around with Navarathri, family function and guests at home.
My son will be back home again in another week for the Diwali holidays and I am reserving his favourite munchies which I baked just a couple of hours back!





Jam Tarts

Makes 12
Adapted from Ria
Original source -The Thankam Philip Book of Baking


Ingredients:

Flour-115g
Butter-60g (chilled)
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Water-4-5 drops
Jam

Method:

Mix flour and baking powder together.
Add the butter and rub it with your fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs.
Line the tart tins and fill 2/3 of the tart with jam. I divided the dough into 6, since I'd halved the recipe and spread in each tart tin separately by rotating the tin and spreading the dough at the same time by gently pressing with both my thumbs from the centre towards the sides.
Bake at 180 degrees for 15 mins or till done.
De-mould when cooled. Be careful not to burn your fingers with the hot molten jam in the centre.




To be frank, I had my own seconds thoughts whether the tarts could be demoulded perfectly!
For the safer side an extra tsp of butter went into the flour which got transformed to a hard dough from the crumbly one.
The tart tins were buttered quite well and were placed on a flat tray on which I sieved flour, coating evenly every nook and corner, rather than dusting.
Thus my tarts were unmoulded easily and perfectly!

The mistake I did was probably filling the jam a little too much which was bubbling up and overflowing while baking, messing up the oven floor. The sticky dry jam on the sides of the tart tins didn't allow me to unmould, though the tarts were ready to come out :)

I am quite happy about the taste and will be trying out with different fillings!



19 comments:

  1. Kissan jam is my favourite too and Hans make fun of me whenI slather it on my toast in India.
    I too love jam tarts and thislooks so so yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Jam Tarts !! looks wonderful !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-What's For Friday Dinner??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures look fantastic Bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jam filled biscuits too :) I want them.. I want them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exceptionally good jam tarts dear. Color of the jam makes it more captivating. Kids will love it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jam in baked goodies,looks irresistible! Loving your wooden board ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irresistible, love your Jam Tarts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parcel me one..Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrattttttttttttttttttttttttts my dear,ur godhumai jeera published in diwali e book,by indus ladies as 20TH item.I am soooo excited to see urs.I can't wait to wish u till ur next post,thats y i wish here itself.CHEERRRRRRRRRRS.MAY GOD SHOWER ALL HIS BLESSINGS ON U TO MAKE UR WAY WITH FULL OF ROSE PETALS TO ATTAIN UR GOAL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. °º✿ Olá, amiga!
    º° ✿✿♥ ° ·.
    Passei para uma visitinha e conhecer suas receitas. Tudo de bom... amei mesmo!!!
    °º♫
    °º✿ Boa semana!
    º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil ♥♥•˚。
    °° 。♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...