Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Strawberry Banana Muffins




It's quite strange that I wonder myself  when I come across an ingredient on the shelves of the supermarket, I regularly go in abundance, but when I plan to bake something and visit the shop, it will be 'out of stock!'

I came across cute boxes of fresh strawberries the previous night when Sweet punch for August was announced. The next visit when I went searching for it, the regular apologies, "sorry mam, we sold the last lot out, it's out of season!"

The husband was requested to get it  while he made a visit to Madurai.
No luck.

I kept the deadline on 7th Aug, to let the search continue until then.
My high hopes to get them from Chennai kept me optimistic coz I never wanted to compromise on my fancies, with the fresh sexy red fruits placed on the background with the  focused muffins on the fore shots. I neither wanted to substitute any other fruit for my favourite berries.

When Renuka came to know about my search, she offered the dried candied fruits which she was holding behind for me, silently in her diet shop next street!
This is what friends are for ;)

The deadline is over and here I am for them!




Strawberry Banana Muffins Recipe:
Adapted from Joy of Baking
Makes 12 regular sized muffins

1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup (240 ml) fresh strawberries (cut into bite sized pieces)
2 1/4 cups (295 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon (4 grams) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) salt





 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or lightly butter or spray the muffin cups with a vegetable spray.

In a small saucepan melt the butter. Let cool to room temperature.

In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.

In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold in the berries, making sure they are coated with flour. (This helps to prevent the berries from sinking during baking.) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.

Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Can be stored for a few days at room temperature.




 I halved the recipe and made 3 giant sized muffins which demanded a baking time of 35 minutes.
The combined flavour of  bananas, strawberries, vanilla and cinnamon was heaven!

16 comments:

  1. I never had an experience of baking till now.But ur muffins clicks kindles my interest of baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I have colored ramekins the white ones are always tempting me :) First en kanu ramekinsa than pathuchu ;) muffins looks fluffy and very tempting, Luved the first click very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muffins looks perfect and tempting..Pass me some...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so chewy yet perfect gooeiness..! Yum.. :) Guess flavour of strawberries is irreplaceable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now why didn't I think of baking these in Ramekins:).Looks very chubby and pretty,glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to pour a couple of spoons of condensed milk into that muffin filled ramekin, top off with some chocolate curls and add a cherry on top and eat that for dinner! So pretty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so adorable & soft & yummy!!!! Loved the idea of baking them in ramekins...nice way of serving them :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute and delicious looking muffins...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how nicely domed the jumbo muffins turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feel like having muffins right now after all the muffins for sweet punch being posted, yours looks soft and delicious too. Love the way you have baked them in ramekins Bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your snaps make me feel like just grabbing those muffins right away! Lovely! And just loved those white ramekins. White can do wonders

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious, like how you baked them in ramekins :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why I never thought to add strawberries to my banana bread is beyond me... Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh Strawberries, they are great, but so hard to keep them fresh for too long. Where do they grow them in India? It is easy to grow them at home, doesn't require too much care. Muffins look fab as always.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...