Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pear, Chocolate and Almond Crumble



Foodgawked!

"Better late than never!", goes the saying :) and here's my 'little late' entry to the month's sweet punch.

Falling sick after a long holiday, a quick visit to the home town and a minor defect in the camera would explain the major reasons for not jumping in on the suggested date, while getting fresh looking pears, which is not an easy task in my town (yes, I din't want to go for any substitutions this time ) says the rest ;)

So...here goes...




*I used 2 large pears and halved the other ingredients in the entire recipe.


Ingredients:

  • 1kg (4-5) ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped into 1cm pieces
  • 50g light brown soft sugar [ Can substitute with regular sugar]
  • Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
  • 100g Swiss milk chocolate, roughly chopped
For the crumble
  • 100g plain flour [ You could substitute this with Whole wheat flour too]
  • 50g butter, chilled and diced
  • 50g light brown soft sugar
  • 50g blanched almonds, lightly toasted in a dry pan and roughly chopped
Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease 6 ovenproof teacups or ramekins or a pie-dish.
  • In a medium bowl, mix together the pears, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice, and half the chocolate. Divide the mixture between the teacups or ramekins, spooning over any juice.
  • To make the crumble, place the flour and butter in a medium bowl and, with your fingertips, rub together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, almonds and remaining chocolate.
  • Spoon the crumble over the pears and press down lightly. Place the crumbles on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with a scoop of good vanilla ice-cream.








I enjoyed the hot crumble from the first ramekin with warm Vanilla Custard Sauce :).

Vanilla Custard Sauce

Blend vanilla flavoured custard powder with 1.5 cups of milk and 4 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste). Cook on a low fire until pouring consistency. Cool, chill and serve with the crumble. The recipe is from my sister's post here.

16 comments:

  1. Nice clicks as always! Mine is also not posted yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came here after keeping my christmas cake for baking in the oven :-)
    Crumble looks so so good.
    How i wish i could visit my mom often like you do.
    One comfort is that she is now with my sis in b'lore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bharathy,

    Looks great and yummy dear...Check out the event in my blog...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a fantastic clicks... and so inviting crumble dear.... bookmarked...

    Learning-to-cook
    Event: Dish Name Starts with D

    Regards,
    Akila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,looks so yummy with custard sauce! Lovely and bright pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks superb...we have a wedding in the family and now finally am counting calories to look good on that day (lol)...this is the perfect dessert for me now. pictures are so good Bharathy. between thanks for the search engine information. I was always scared of my namesake the famous and daring Sayantani ghosh, but now I have some fame for myself...ha ha all thanks to you and Srivalli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could grab that spoon! Your captures are so tempting! I loved the combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irresistible crumble, cant take my eyes from the clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just glad you did it and not give up - we got to see this. Awesome pictures - I love the crumble part!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, they have come out soooooooooooo well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad u finished the punch this time.. came up with beautiful crumble and shots. I am tempted again...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum yum..I absolutely loved the last pic.I made a second batch and had it with Custard..truly delicious!!Hope you are doing great now!!Thanks for the entry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that you were able to find pears, i am just wondering will our sabarjil work just as good ? Manja chethi kanda kalam marannu, the last photo is absolutely drool worthy !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...