Thursday, October 7, 2010

Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes!


I happened to read somewhere that chocolate lava cake was the result of a major culinary disaster; the dessert meant to be individual chocolate cakes which didn't get cooked well resulting in a soft runny chocolaty centre. The resulting "uncooked centred" cake was duly favourited by the baker as well his guests!

Obviously being in my should-try-once list I was excited when Divya announced the recipe for October's sweet punch! The very Molten Chocolate Lava Cake!

So here we have to be careful not to cook the cake 'a little too much' thereby resulting in a 'well cooked centred' chocolate cake ;)

Preparing the batter was a breeze. For the very first time I enjoyed melting chocolates in my double boiler milk cooker, the baking bars brought down by my sister.
As mentioned earlier I wanted to cook them carefully to get used to the baking time and chose to bake them one by one. The first ramekin got cooked a little too much with 19 minutes, while the second one was too mushy with 15 minutes. Now I knew the time and controlled it as 17 minutes. Remember, the baking time varies according to your oven model and setting.




Only when I placed the cake on the plate did I realise that the uncooked centre was sticking at the bottom, resulting in a 'not so smooth finished top part'. Besides, the cakes failed to hold their shapes :( letting down my expectations of having those firm dark cakes with the lava flowing out, beautifully!
When the 5th ramekin hopped out hot from the oven, I couldn't wait any longer.....
..scroll down to the last but one picture, please ;)


Molten Lava Cake (yielded 5 ramekins for me)
Recipe source - showmethecurry.com

Ingredients:

Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate – 4 oz (113g)
Butter – 4 oz (113g)
Eggs – 2
Sugar – 1/3 cup (75 g)
All-purpose Flour – 1/4 cup (40g)
Butter – for greasing ramekins

Method:

Method:

1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat Eggs and Sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Once chocolate is melted, remove pan from heat and add in butter. Mix until the butter melts fully.
4. Add chocolate/butter mixture into the eggs, add all-purpose flour and mix until well incorporated.
5. Butter bottom and sides of ramekins (small glass/porcelain bowls) and pour in mixture about 3/4 way full.
6. Place ramekins on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C) for 10 – 15 minutes. Shorter for gooey (molten) inside, longer for stiff inside.
7. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.



The little 'over baked' lava cake on the farther end! The rest of them waiting to get in the oven!



A bit over exposed :) but just to have a peep into the ramekin at that 'rightly baked' molten lava cake..



..confirmed by digging in a spoon and licking it clean ;)
Warning: Extremely Hot Product- No burning tongues please ;)



P.S - Some people find it gross to have cakes with uncooked centers[not me too Divya :)!!] and feel the lava is nothing but uncooked batter.I have a solution for that too--if you feel so too,just place a chocolate chunk in between--pour half the batter into the ramekin and place a chocolate chunk,and pour the remaining batter and cook for a longer time than mentioned.You could also place cold ganache in between,choices are numerous!!


23 comments:

  1. I am not chocoholic,still feel like licking the molten lava ;)

    The cute little additional tabs looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the tabs in your blog template Bharathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been seeing few of these days and I am drooling all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowww...snap is awesome Bharathy... im drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing pics, looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. We enjoyed these too....though I didn't make mine gooey. I baked them for 17 minutes and got a nice, soft center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant pics! you captured the essence of the ooey gooey-ness. Didn't get to make mine yet, I have some severe runny egg-haters in my fam :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh..I want to stretch out my hands and grab that melting flowing chocolate right out! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second anu.. mine is over already wish to have one more time seeing ur pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy.. all you guys are tempting me seriously :) will try out asap :) yummmy.. I love the options you have given too. will try them in all styles to choose the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv ur first click...looks yum neatly presented too

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUmmy looking cake, makes me drool again..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Slurp...Fantastic clicks.


    http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like taking a lick on the choco tat is leakingo out...

    ReplyDelete
  15. One word, heavenely. No another word - luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a ton Bharathy...have got the packet and have mailed you too. please check.

    the molten lava cake is my fav and tried twice which miserably crumbled into a semi thick mass. bookmarking this to make it for Valentine's day this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bharathy,

    Dats a yummy molten lava cake...

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really did capture that molten lava flowing out...superb. I baked mine dry, but it was still so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats an irresistible choco cake! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...