Sunday, August 8, 2010

Simple Chocolate Brownies


Many a times I think of my friends who prepare lunch and dinner for larger number of guests in a jiffy, host parties frequently and obviously are better cooks than me.
They are not bloggers, but don't you think they deserve to be looked upon?

Devi is one such friend of mine who was given a short notice, to host 15 adults (14 men including my husband and then me) for lunch, just a couple of hours before, by her husband Surya!!!

Believe me or not I got tensed and rushed over to see her quite coolly cutting veggies simultaneously making preparations for the dessert!!I helped her along watching with awe, the way she carried herself around, cooked and presented the food as the final step, chatting cheerfully(which can never happen with me minus a maid) with me the whole time!!!

Soon WE (:D) were finally up with a drink, a starter, bowls of vegetable rice, chicken biriyani, a vegetable and a fish gravy plus two dry dishes and accompaniments, within the time Surya had allotted her!!

Now for the dessert part, all she had was a tub of vanilla ice cream waiting to be served with fresh warm chocolate brownies and the batter was pushed into the OTG when the men settled down for the grand lunch!

The freshly baked brownies got paired up with scoops of vanilla ice creams in bowls which got finished by the men, heartily!! :)

Devi and me sat down for lunch. Each dish was literally 'out of the world' and I jotted down the recipe of her classic dessert !

Amma is getting better now.
She loves brownies and I baked them today for her while I am preparing to go back home tomorrow...

Ingredients:

Melted butter-1 cup
Sugar-1 cup +powdered, for dusting
Eggs- 4
Maida-1 cup
Cocoa powder- 3/4 cup
Broken walnuts- 1/4 cup
Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Salt-a pinch

Method:

  • Sieve maida, baking powder, cocoa and salt 3 to four times.
  • Add sugar with melted butter.
  • Beat in eggs and essence.
  • Fold in the flour.
  • Spread nuts in a greased pan and pour the prepared batter.
  • Bake at 180 C for 40-45 min in a suitable square tin or till done.(I baked it for a slightly longer time and hence doesn't have that 'moist' look)
  • Cool, dust with powdered sugar and cut into even squares.

Devi, I Admire You and this post is dedicated to you.

25 comments:

  1. Thats great about your friend devi..:) And you are so true,there are many who deserve much more ! I too always wonder seeing such people,and i wanted their 'cool' they maintain in such situations ;)

    And the brownies look sinful Bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..wonderful and drooling brownies Bharathy... lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing the brownie i thgti came to a another place :-)
    Brownies look so so good wish i had them right now.
    My sirer in b'lore can make dinner for a buntch of ppl in a short time, which i would take a whole day and a half to prepare too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its just awesome, that one can manage cooking for so many people at such a short notice.
    And So sweet of you that you have dedicated this to her.
    Brownies with ice cream is my to heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The very thought of guests coming I wud start thinking abt the menu....inspite of amma preparing everything ;) Yes as u say I bow down to such people who take up things instantly and cook :) Ur brownies looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very tempting...especially the sugar dusting on those brownies.... :p

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was a splendid one... love the colour.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hats off to your friend Devi for preparing such a great spread on a short notice.Ajay does that many a times too giving me little time to prepare but then I have a standard menu ready to save me on the thinking process[which according to me takes up a chunk of my time!!].Love the Brownies..you know I am always looking for a Brownie recipe..hehe!!

    Hope your mom is doing great now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. True, there are people who can perform quietly and Devi is one among them. Loved the brownies,out of the world.Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe and dedicating to ur dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats an incredible spread to cook for 15 people within 2 hours. unbelievable work. I would have messed it up literally. the brownies look divine and love your food photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy and chocolatee and mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is a lot of food in such a short time. And, wow, what a wonderful and simple brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brownnies look sinfully delicious... Its been a long time since baked brownies.

    Thats quite a lot of dishes and your friend has whipped it up for 15 people in short notice. Truly commendable and she deserves a dedicated post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the perfect treat.....looks tempting and yum...

    ReplyDelete
  15. those brownies look divine.
    So you are also getting these chinese comments! I am tired of moderating them:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. first time here...lovely recipe..following you....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just prepared dinner for 2 of us + 1 surprise guest, and am already exhausted. Sigh. I really admire your friend, seriously she rocks. That is a lovely brownie, am sure you guys should have enjoyed it warm out of oven with a scoop of ice cream... Oops, I am already craving for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thats so grt.. this brownies looks so deliicous so soft and feel to taste some

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://www.sharmispassions.com/2010/05/mini-savoury-buns.html
    Have posted it Bharathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those chocolate brownies looks too inviting! Am craving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These brownies deserve a standing ovation - makes us all want to take a break and enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious looking brownies...yummy! check out mine here - Brownie fever

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing all the information.this is amazing Blog.

    Blissful Brownies Now Getting you all product Delivery with mail Just Click Mail Order brownies for online order booked and get without any extra charges.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...