Thursday, May 21, 2009

To my Grandma…



While we honour mothers
With words of love and praise,
While we tell about their goodness
And their kind and loving ways,
We should also think of Grandma..
She's a mother, too, you see
For she mothered my dear mother,
As my mother mothers me!


Lying peacefully at the corner of the bedroom, she breathed for one last time….

Amidst the grievances of the loss,I console myself for having spent some solid time, took care of her,fed her the last Sunday morning she passed away.

Funeral, condolences,consoles,relatives, friends…all had came to a slow still by the passing days…

…………..

………

Amma and me decided to make Vatti Pulusu, which reminded of grandma, in every step.

Grandma was undoubtedly an expert in preparing this special curry,Vattipulusu , a comfort dish, truly unique and loved by all of us in the family..

I knew amma had mixed feelings all the while and I needed to be the one to reassure her that at least she had a peaceful end and is in a better world..

.... Vattipulusu, simmering in the Kalchatti, spreading the aroma all over the house, she prepares for us with her utmost love and care..


Ingredients:

Tamarind-a small lime sized ball

Salt-to taste


To roast and grind to a very smooth paste:

Gingelly seed oil-a tsp

Coriander/ Kothamalli/Malli/Dhania Powder-4 tbsps (use 4 heaped tbsps if you use seeds)

Fenugreek seeds/uluva-1/4 tsp

Red Chillies-8-10

Black Pepper corns-a heaped tsp

Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp

Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp

Shallots-1/2 cup

Garlic cloves-8

Curry leaves-a sprig


To season:

Gingelly seed oil-2 tbsps

Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp

Asafoetida-less than 1/4 tsp

Curry leaves-a sprig


Method:

1. Soak tamarind in warm water.Extract pulp.

2. Heat a tsp of oil as mentioned in the ”roast and grind” list in a heavy bottomed kadai.Roast the fenugreek and next the coriander seeds and the red chillies in medium flame stirring all the time till the colour changes and the aroma spreads out. (Usage of coriander powder is the easiest way and if you use this make sure not to burn it, and roast along with the chillies stirring all the time until the colour of the powder turns deeper and the aroma spreads out).

3. Turn off the flame.


4. Throw in rest of the ingredients ; the pepper corn,cumin seeds,turmeric powder, shallots,garlic and curry leaves in order, stirring the mixture heating them all up.The heat of the kadai is enough for this step.


5. Cool and grind to the smoothest paste with just enough water.(Coriander powder grinds well rather than the seeds and hence suggested)


6. In a thick bottomed vessel (we used the traditional Kalchatti) combine the above paste with the tamarind extract.Add salt. Let the curry be watery at this stage.Boil and simmer the pulusu well closed with a lid. After 10-15 minutes, season the simmering Pulusu by heating the 2tbsps of oil in the earlier kadai , used for roasting, splutter the mustard seeds, asafoetida and next the curry leaves.Simmer until you get the real flavour of the Vattipulusu spreading all around the kitchen and the oil separates .


7. Serves best with boiled rice, idlies and dosas.




This is a spicy and tangy Indian curry, with no vegetables.The name Vattipulusu must have originated from the Telugu word Vanti, meaning plain and Pulusu, a gravy.
Vattipulusu
is close to Vatral kuzhambu, of Tamil cuisine ( of course without the vatral) and Theiyal of Kerala..

I’d not wished to show my feelings here but badly wanted to share this wonderful dish with my lovely friends what I watched and learned from my grandmother, the greatest cook of my world..

I strongly feel her presence in this room, when I type this in my lap top, breathing in her air …

....and my sister's post moving me to tears...

19 comments:

  1. i am so sorry for your Gramdma...I was not the blessed one to be with grandmas. Remember her for all the great and wonderful time you had with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Hearty Condolences. Hope Things get better.
    Lovely pic and recipe of a heart warming pulusu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing a grandma is like losing a part of yourself, they were always there and always cared for us so much... My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry about your loss, I hope you and your family stay strong during this time. It is extremely thoughtful of you to make this in her rememberance.
    Small things that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how difficult it is to loose a loved one and that too maternal grandparents are very close to heart!!! I underwent the same thing but I wasnt there with her the pain is excruciating... Anyways to the pulusu it I am twitching my shoulder cos I love them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you shared this. It never comes out well when I make it cuz aatha had given me rough measurements about 3 years back. Now I have the exact ones.. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bharathy, I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my amayee (amma's amma) as well. Being so far and not being able to travel to see her just kills me. Cherish all of the wonderful times you had together. Wish you and your family the best, especially during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bharathy,I so sorry about your grandma! Hugs dear!!

    This one even I tried from Laavanya's blog,I think similar to this:) Lovely pictures Bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am so sorry for your loss, Bharathy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my Hearty condolence Bharathii..I knw its a big loss..

    Its one of my favorite.. I just loved the color...then im so happy it was yours and swapna's combined decision to pass the award for me..Thank you Bharathi.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heartfelt condolences to you and family. Pulusu looks tempting Bharathy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is always good that you share you sorrows, with your friends.
    Really sorry to hear about you granmother.
    And also you wer elucky to spend time with her.
    Which lot of us cannot have as we all lives so far away from the family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came to knw this from Nags post...My hearfelt condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bharathy....cherish all the wonderful times you had together...you are really lucky to be with her and take care of her in her final days...

    curry looks really delicious!!! Nice clicks as always..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bharathy, so sorry about your loss...Nags has indeed written so well, I know she must be feeling so terrible being so far away, take care..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for your loss, grandma are indeed really special.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. The consoling words from all of you mean too much to me.My heartfelt thanks to all my dear friends who had taken their valuable time to go through the post and leaving their soothing notes here..

    Since we have relatives coming over to convey their condolences,I'm not finding enough time to visit your wonderful blogs, for the time being.
    Let me hope I will be excused for the same..

    Love,
    Bharathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really sorry to hear of your loss...grandmothers are always special, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bharati,

    Sorry to hear about your granny! childhood seems incomplete without our grandparents. Heartfelt condolences.

    Shilpa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...