Saturday, November 10, 2007

Corn flake Cookies


Residing in a country like India, Cornflakes had seldom fallen under our breakfast menu, except for our foreign trips when they used to appear regularly on our breakfast tables!.
We do love its crunchiness mingled with the chillness of the fresh milk and the chewy dry fruits added, when we make decisions to continue this ‘healthy diet norm’ back home..and back to India, alas!, we would bounce back to our regular heavy diets of Dosas, Idlies and Poories …like a promise unkept :D..!!

I'd ' warned ' my sister umpteen times to keep the theme easy enough for WBB #17 , initiated by Nanditha of Saffron trail, which she had to host this month and even gave her a few ideas(even if she didn’t want them ;)) to announce it something like ‘steamed goodies’ or so(as a few of them are waiting ready to be published in my archives).. :)..
Then came the much unexpected announcement of the ingredient–Cornflakes!!..

I googled and googled, came along hundreds of recipes and got hooked (finally) on one of them which seemed to be easy enough.Again this needed to be baked and to admit the truth, I would be the least confident baker in blogosphere, still in my baby steps with trials...

...and this again belongs to one of those trials :)

Recipe from here

Cornflakes, crumbled well-2 cups
Flour-1 1/2 cups
Sugar-1cup-I used brown sugar.
Butter-1 cup
Vanilla extract-1 tsp
Baking powder-1 tsp

Cream butter, sugar and the vanilla extract.Sift flour with baking powder and add it to the butter sugar mixture.Stir in the crumbled cornflakes and mix well. Drop by teaspoons about 2 inches apart, leaving enough space for the cookies to spread out.I flattened the cookies with the bottom of a moistened glass as in the recipe and avoided nuts as they were optional. Cream of tartar was skipped as it is was not available here in my place.The cookies were baked for about 15 minutes at 350 deg.


My kitchen had than divine aroma of butter cookies, lingering all the day.
They tasted great with my morning cup of plain coffee and were quite filling that I skipped my breakfast…..Can I rename them as Corn flake breakfast cookies ?;) and enter the WBB #17, hosted by my sister?.

Coming out with cornflakes and baking together was a real challenge for me. I still have my own doubts regarding, “is this how the real cornflakes cookies look?” or is this the method of making them?..Do do they have an unusual darker brown hue as you see here? Believe me, they were ‘chewy’ rather than ‘crispy’ and aren’t they thin and flat than the regular cookies?Is it because of too much of butter or since flattened with the back of a glass? what is the action of cream of tartar in baking?...I need help, from my blogger pals who are experienced bakers, here, please...:)....

23 comments:

  1. Plain Cornflakes are so common here,we hardly buy it. We have too many other varieties of Cereals to choose!:D
    Other than eating plain with milk and using it crushed to coat chicken, I have never used cornflakes in other way.
    Your cookies have gorgeous color, never seen them before. Looks great. Now I do have breakfast dish in mind but takes time to cook!:)
    Enjoy Bharathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! why do u even have to worry! these cookies luk so divine although i get the feel crispy when i see it than chewy! cud be cos of the thinness..

    But good that U already are done with it! i still dunno what I am going to make! umm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi deary, that is a gud way to treat urself, but edo, do u really have to put 1 full cup of butter?..i wud really be guitly to be having that myself, (as all reasons to it being in the "Myself at a glance" column on the right hand top of my site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me, they look really scrumptious(as my son says to all yummy things).
    Regarding your query about cream of tartar...I do use it for Royal icing etc for getting it more smoother n creamier and more white.
    As I found it in an article...
    "Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware."

    Hope this helps....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look yummy Bharathy... Hope you had a great Diwali...

    ReplyDelete
  6. bharathy,
    kalakki yallo!!!
    nalla parippuvada look ulla breakfast corn flakes!
    undakki kazhinjittu parayaam! ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cookies bharathy! You have really baked well!:) I read an elaborate book on cookies some years back. It says the basic mixture for cookies is the same, all you need to do is add different ingredients to this basic mixture to get a variety of cookies. My basic mixture is 1 cup ghee, 1 cup sugar and 3 cups flour. For corn flake cookies you can add a little bit more sugar with corn flakes.
    I also read that If we use butter for cookies we should shape them and refrigerate for a few hours before baking. I had borrowed this book from British Library and don't remember the title!:(
    You follow these tips and yuor cookies will turn out well every time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow these are really awesome. looks like u put that oven to use finally :) you are among the first entrants.. thank you so much! hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cookies are so tempting.Bharathy the art of baking is only trying and learning by mistakes,just follow the measures you can master it too

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is somthing different am hearing ....hope it would be crispy...u know theres 1 recipe i make out of cornflakes is crisy banana.....just quarter the fruit and dip it in sugarsyrup,then just roll those in cornflakes mixture....lastly bake them till slight golden brown....i just lov to share this recipe with u....hope u enjoyed..

    ReplyDelete
  11. cornflakes cookies very new and yummy recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bharathy,
    perfect looking cookies!!!Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bharathy,after you writing my kitchen had a divine smell than butter cookies....I am very much mouthwatering at ur cookies...:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi tempting cookies.. can i hv one pls?:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. those cookies are really delicious! i would like to have them any time.. :))
    i had sent you an email. pl check.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make yr sister proud with this entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cookies look very divine. I really like cornflakes a lot & am surely going to make these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thankyou Sugarcraft,Lathamma and Suma for your brilliant tips!!Hugs!!:D

    I thank each of my friends here personally for those encouraging words...a real boost to a "Baby baker" like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The recipe sounds simple and the cookies look delicious. Perfect entry for the event. I haven't thought about anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow Bharathy....what an innovative dish...Loved ur cookies dear :-))
    Please don't mind If I don't comment the next few months as I would terribly busy with my academic work......Hope u understand dear....I will be back in no time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Bharthi,
    Love these cookies ,Awesome. hmmm...just cant stop the saliva .... hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...