Monday, November 28, 2011

' Bhagyam' makes Thuar Adai ~ a continuation of the previous post!




It is almost a couple of hours' drive to our ancestral village. The roads are extremely bumpy and I dislike the roller coaster ride to and fro mostly done on the same day. To shake off the terrible backache and the tiredness on the following day back home is a nightmare for me lately!
Still, the warmth of my inlaws, the charm of the village and the mansion becomes irresistible, each time V invites me to accompany!




Bhagyam, one of the most reliable and sincere maids I have ever seen, is serving us for the past more than 30 years. A hardworker who never grumbles and serves pleasanly each and every member of the family with her smiling face, is a survivor of cancer a couple of years ago. She was given the best medication and was treated (royally) by V's cousin, a gynaec. Bhagyam, a widow, happily continues to serve my inlaws to her best, her health can support!




So, while this renovation was going on and V and his uncles were busy supervising the work and the workers, I was shooting around. Soon we were hungry! The store room and kitchen were almost demolished and with the limited items in the pantry, Bhagyam managed to make the family favourite, Thoor Adai with chutney while I made tea.

I am basically not a fan of adai, with the overpowering dal in them, I heartily dislike this considered-as-healthy south Indian crepe.
At the same time I admit fully the fact that I couldnt stop eating them until I had 4 large ones those came fresh out of the pan with some steaming  hot chai!
Bhagyam made more than 30 adais for 8 of us. I had scaled down the measurements of  the ingredients to 1/3rd here.

Thuar Adai
For 10 Adais
Recipe Source- Prema Athai (she insisted that the credits should go to her for being Bhagyam's tutor) :-)

 Ingredients:

 Parboiled Rice - 1 1/2 cups
 Thoor dal- 1/2 cup
 Red Chilies-10 nos
 Asafoetida - 3 fat pinches
 Salt - as needed
 Small onions- a handful- peeled and sliced
 Fresh curry and coriander leaves- as needed


Step by step method



Wash rice and dal and soak together for 2 hours. Grind to thick coarse paste adding enough water with chillies, asafoetida salt.




Cut the small onions..




Wash and chop the greens. Stir in as needed..




into the thick adai paste in a larger vessel adding




 enough water to loosen to batter consistency.




Pour  in a circular motion on the hot tawa.(You cannot spread the batter with the back of the ladle as for the dosa).




Loosen the edges and flip over while cooked




and let the other side get done. Adai takes a longer time to cook than the regular dosas..




No fancy plates or glasses or counter tops for the photo shoot here, girls :)

When I placed the plate(after selecting the best from the limited collection) on the stone bench (whew! no other counter tops worked) it was drizzling, and again, I had to rush back to the kitchen to mind the tea that was still on the stove top!

Adai was served with Coconut Chutney.
Other accompaniments that go well with Thoor Adai are Tomato Onion Chutney and Avial.

20 comments:

  1. It looks so lacey those adai, i have never had them but the ingridients sounds so good and i am jealous you had four, and that i didn't had anything, iam sure i would have eaten more too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a very ardent fan of adai which I make very often.your adai looks very tempting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated with the tava used and the lacy edges of the adai. Very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god! Bhagyam will do a flip over when she sees how thick my adais come out. This is so thin and delightful. Your food photography is excellent even with the limited scope allowed. Way to go Bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another interesting story to go with the recipe. My mouth was watering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't need any fancy props for this one, I love the shot and the dosa looks perfect, love the crisp edges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adai looks super yummy....I can imagine its taste hot from the tawa....super...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so so home sick now :( Never a lover of adais, but this time amma has sent some home made adai mix through a friend. I tried some of it last week, and it was so wonderful! This post reminds me of kumbakonam, my home town so much :)

    And you write almost like a movie, serious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really its a great Bhagyam for having a maid like her,adai looks absolutely delicioussssssssssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Kudos to Bhagyam and your cousin who helped her recover from cancer.Love the pictures too... You prove that one doesn't need fancy props to make a pic look good, all you need is a good photographer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You say thuar adai-I say Sanna polo.Amusing to find such similar dishes in different cuisines!

    http://divyascookbook.blogspot.com/2008/03/sanna-polo-drumstick-leaves-dosa.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, super tempting adai. Its looking so crispy and amazing! Loved it :) You made me hungry now :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can have adai even 3 times a day, luv it soo much. Crispy adais looks so tempting bharathy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. U wont trust me,seriously its one of my comforting food,whenever i feel down,i'll soak immediately the dals and rice to make some crispy adais, lacey adai makes me hungry,kudos to Bhagyam..

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my fav!! But never have I come across such lacy, inviting & mouthwatering adais!!! Im so craving for it now...Bookmarking this one Bharathy & thx a ton for sharing this wonderful recipe by Bhagyam..Do thank her from me when u visit your native next time..;)
    Prathima Rao
    Parts Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The final click is totally outstanding which is a rare, real n a fresh pic clicked @ a village. the recipe is soo simple n an easy one too...i do have to appreciate ur honer towards 'Bhagyam Akka' in this post that was clear n good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So different than how i make it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!!so tempting and we do make the similar one call it as tuvaramparuppu dosai.

    ReplyDelete
  20. First time here..Glad I reached here..Following you right away...This looks delicious..I love adai a lot..Amma makes it often..Thanks for sharing it dear…Should try it soon…If you have time do check my blog too…

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...