Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mochai Sadam-The Mildly Spiced Rice Cooked with Dolicho beans


I happened to savour this rice delicacy in my co-sister, Suki's house in Coimbatore and it was absolutely 'a love at first taste' experience for both V and me! :)
Being 'never a hesitant guest to jot down a good recipe', I just couldn't wait to try the rice, back home, the very next day, with the Mochai, already peeled and ready in my chiller.

I googled to find out the amazing facts about Mochai or the Dolichos bean, here !

Here's how to make it..

To serve 4, you need :

Fresh green Mochai/Dolichos bean-peeled- 2 cups
Rice- 2 cups (I used ponni raw rice)
Shallots/big onion-minced-2 tbsps
Oil- 1 1/2 tbsps
Garlic-minced-a tbsp
Green Chillies-sliced lengthwise-2 nos
Thick tamarind extract 2 tsps. ( if tamarind paste, 1/2 tsp will suffice)
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves-minced-to garnish

To grind to a smooth paste :

Pearl onions- 8-9 nos
Garlic cloves-8-9 nos-(I used larger cloves of malai poondu and restricted to 5 cloves, so use them according to the size)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Sambhar powder-1 1/2 tsps
Chilly powder 1 tsp
Jeera powder-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- 3 sprigs

  • Grind the ingredients mentioned above to a smooth paste adding minimum water.
  • Heat oil in a 5 ltr pressure cooker pan, crackle mustard seeds, sauté the minced garlic, onions, green chillies, and Mochai in order.
  • Add the ground paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears.Say for abt a minute or two in low-medium flame. Add *water(scroll further down for the amount) and bring to a boil.Add the washed rice and salt and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir well.Close the cooker with its lid and pressure cook till **done.
  • Open the lid, after the steam vents off by itself and fluff the rice gently so as to mix the beans and the rice.Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with raitha.

* Amount of water used- Since I used Ponni year old raw rice I needed 2 parts of water for one part of rice.So it was 4 cups of water for 2 cups of rice. For Mochai to get cooked, it needs one part of water. Hence I used 2 cups of water for 2 cups of Mochai.
Therefore the recipe above demands 6 cups of water in all.
Friends, be careful with the water you add to cook as it depends upon the quality of rice.

**The cooking time- The rice should be rightly cooked.Not too mushy and not too grainy. in other words the grains should not stick to one another and should be moist, mildly coated with the masala cooked along,with that bursting aroma of soft cooked Dolichos with creamy insides.
I closed the pressure cooker after it simmered for 3 minutes, placed the weight and waited for the first whistle. I lowered the flame and put off the stove after 3-4 whistles. Waited again till the steam vented out, fluffed the rice gently before serving.Thus, a total cooking time of 10-12 minutes and my dish was perfect in the very first attempt itself :)

...My 'first attempt failure' is the picture you see, the very first click with my new cam :(( whoaahh...

23 comments:

  1. I have to look out if we get this Mochai beans here. Bookmarking this,i love that there is samber powder in the spice mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and is going to be cooked so very soon. I am glad you mentioned mochai, dolichos would have put me in a spin.
    mochai and avaraikkai are 2 for which I am still not sure what the English names are, everytime I figure I have the right name, there comes along another name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mochai sadama sounds new...pakave supera iruku!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never cooked with Dolichos beans...looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sadam looks deliciously tempting...very nice click!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I love Field beans. Great recipe, thanks B! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a new rice dish for me..Sounds very flavorful and yumm..It's been ages since I had this beans..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic and gorgeous rice with beans...woww sounds really yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. mochai rice is new to me..the color looks very inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  10. When ever I see Mochai anytime in blogs my heart melts and I become so sad, yeah its simple I love them so much but we dont get them here!!! Love the mochai sadam, droolworthy!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. why do you say failure? looks nice only!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried dished with mochai.This one is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very good Bharathy..like Nags said above,why do you feel its a failure attempt???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the combo looks very good, cheer up its fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks nice dear...Its a new recipe to me....

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's wrong with the pic??? I think it looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great food - looks very yummy!

    Apu

    ReplyDelete
  18. Only you can make Mochai look so delicious.. recently my sister in law made one tamarind based curry with Lilva beans(Pachai Mochai).. really liked it!!!Will add this too to the list of recipes with Lilva beans :):)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe....following u now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice recipe to try out.... thanks for ur effort to make this blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just awesome. I make this recipe very regularly and all of my family members enjoy it a lot. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...