Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Slice of Love...

Are you a banana lover? I bet you would love this.Do give a shot as this is one of the easiest dishes ever..

Amma makes this with much ease and expertise, when it comes to slicing the ripe bananas directly to the hot kadai, in no time with fresh ghee heating up in it. This dish, supposed to be a sweet snack, is somehow a ‘meal’ for my brother, sis and me.

She loves this cold, spongy and chewy,
While I prefer- warm, soft and juicy.
For this reason I fry the well ripened fruit slices in butter while the actual recipe calls for ghee.

So, here goes the recipe for Aethapazham/Nenthranpazham Vazhattiyathu or the Ghee Roasted Bananas..

Ingredients:

Butter- ¾ - 1 cup
Ripe Kerala Bananas/aethappazham/nenthran pazham-2 nos- each slice to abt a cm thick.
Sugar-a tbsp

Method:

Melt butter in a wide non stick kadai..Dump in the fruit slices.Spread them well so as to facilitate deep frying keeping the flame sim to medium.Turn over the slices, gently, so as to cook the other side.Do not close the kadai at any stage.Let the slices turn deep brown to black.
The whole roasted time takes up to 20-25 minutes and by the end the butter would have turned to ghee. Transfer the slices carefully from the pan while still piping hot to a casserole.Sprinkle sugar, toss and keep tightly closed.Open after, say 15 mins.The heat of the fried slices would have melted the sugar by now which gives a syrupy sweet coating to the final dish.(The remaining ghee in the pan can be reused).
Serve warm.


My sis who never gets tired of hosting events has come up with a unique one this month after the movie Saas Bahu and Sensex and says “It can be anything ranging from a recipe an aunt passed along, a dish your mom used to make, quick enough so that she has time to pack you off to school and get to work herself, a meal that you enjoyed during your girls' night out with friends and want to re-create at home.”
Please visit the movie website by clicking here.

And sis, this is for you, dedicated to "our" sweet amma and granny :)

Obviously, the recipe is passed over to amma by her mom, which gives out that heavenly aroma while getting fried; even more than the wonderful flavour of ripe bananas and ghee; we taste her Love, mingled all over, in every slice…

36 comments:

  1. Never heard of this, is this a desert?? Somehow I cannot relish cooked fruit. But your picture makes the dish look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks irresistible! My mom always made dessert with bananas and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pic looks so yumm Bharathy..:) Thanks for sharing ur amma's special with us..

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  4. this dish will never cease to bring out memories in me. sadly, i have never been able to get these bananas in hyd or singapore so get to have it only at home. thanks for the lovely entry sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha,yes...I have seen this dish in one of the cookery shows...
    Looks juicy and delicious!!!Sounds simple,can we substitute nentram pazham with any other variety?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Shiva,even my husband and inlaws dislike cooked fruit..seems this is something very unique.. he he :)..they struggle to keep a straight face while I devour the same :D

    Nice to note that, Meeso :)

    Thank you Siri..hope you would accept my (very) belated b'day wishes :)

    Glad you liked it sis :)..the bananas were the ones amma brought over..I too dont get 'em here :(

    Hmmm..Raji..I have not tried substituting this with any others, dear..why not try making this when you are here?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, the picture is drool-worthy! Lovely recipe, very rich, because of the butter:-) I remember my mother used to make this as an evening snack when we returned from school, and it tasted yum, very filling. Her recipe included cardamom powder sprinkled on top, and at times, after the frying, while serving, she would add 2-3 tbsp of warm milk and some nuts like roasted cashew or badam. Now that I have seen this recipe, I want to try it for my daughter, and I do get nendra pazham here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bavk at home we aonly had pazhaompori, this is new to me.
    It looks so good, the i would love to try them. Ofcourse we don't get the same bananas we get it Kerala here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so golden and delicious...have never tried this..must taste yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bharathy-

    I love sweet bananas, am sure this fried banana will taste delicious, esp. with nendram pazham. Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy pic Bharathy!!! my mom used to cut bananas lengthwise...not round for this recipe.....anyways this was one of my fav evening snack!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you won't believe .. i just had this heavenly dish... this one is a fav in my home too....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never knew you were Nags sis..Lovely entry..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh Bharathy...am drooling.Can there ever be a more tasty and easy recipe than this?I don't think so..I too make it in a similar way,but only one difference...I just can't wait for 15 minutes;-)the roasted slices go straight to the plate and from there to the tummy,off the tava..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shreya,there you are witha yummy touch to the recipe..Sure I will try next time :) Thanx girl :)

    Nice to see you back in my place,
    HC :)

    Thank you, Usha :)

    Renuka,I am hopping in and out...Travelling :)..I did see ur comment..Oh!! why did you delete the comment??..sorry for my late response..

    Yes, Mitr..this is a very easy recipe :)..tasty too..

    Yes Swapna..either ways :)..they are yummy :)..

    Nandu, hope you are settled by now :)..Glad to note you make this too..Thanx for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Divya..is it?? :)..Thanx for dropping by with your lovely words..

    He he..That is such a sweeeet comment, Divya..Thanx dear...so nice of u..:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Bharathy! I have some nendrapazham at home, wondering whether I should go all out and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is something I have come to like and has always been a favourite. I like it warm, at room temperature or even cold from the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow frying banana in ghee or butter is something new to me. Must try to me. Looks awesome and nice entry to the event. Three cheers to your recipe and sis sis bond.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry 4 the delay akka
    visit my blog akka
    http://www.spicyland.blogspot.com
    then u find kesari receipe
    i send this through the scrap book but it can't post because i thought u r not in my friend's list so u first accept me as u r friend akka

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh i love this - but its soooooooo sinful with deep fried nenthrapazham and more sugar!!! feel too guilty to even admit my fondness ;p

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks sooooooooo yummy..i love it....theres a small treat in my blog for u...collet it soon...vegam vaa...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so warm and brown. I make this quite often and now my daughter has also started relishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Bharathy,

    Looks very nice.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Bharathy, I'm back to blogging.
    those ethapazhams are soo tempting! kothippikalle...!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow it looks so inviting... I have not heard or tasted this before but looks very very yummy..
    Wish you a very happy diwali Bharathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. this looks fantastic, B. perfect for girl nite out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. no no no no no, you can't gently push me there to kiran's place. i like to comment on your blog only - hehehehe.

    btw, these sweet nethra pazhams can be packaged to chennai? 1 order please. :P

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this! My mom makes it just like this. It is so simple yet so tasty!
    Have fun at your reunion, Bharathy!:D

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read this was a French dessert, and just see - its here too! We make nendrapazham with jaggery by steaming. Never tried the caramalised version. Should go very well with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks mouthwatering.lovely pic.
    have something waiting for u in my blog. chek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So mouthwatering! How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  34. my amma too makes this.. but she adds sugar to the same banana's. the same procedure as banana halwa. but she removes them before it becomes halwa. And also adds cardamom powder! your looks perfectly done.. miss that variety of banana here

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Bharathy

    First time here and am very happy to see this dish. I used to live on this dish during my school days and at my place, we used to make it using dalda, hhmm I miss it so much.
    That pic is so yummy & tempting :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...