Sunday, August 31, 2008

JFI- Soya Chunk Cutlets





True that I love cooking soy and soy products, mainly because I’m into a core vegetarian family as these compliment a real good source of protein and supplement for the growing children.They had been persuading me to come up with the usual Soy chunk gravy, which I haven’t made for months, while hubby was looking forward to some freshly boiled and seasoned soy beans, though he was aware of the fact that they are not in season, at least here, at present.
Tofu was unfortunately out of stock in the near by supermarket today(I could always come up with the easy, yummy and healthy scrambled version of it, as the last minute entry)and I received perplexed looks from the sales girls when I demanded for pack of soy flour.All I could grab was a pack of Meal maker(soy chunks)sitting pretty and smiling at me from one of those topmost racks!..
Back home, I googled to find an interesting recipe from here.
The reasons for choosing the above are,
  • Easy recipe (promising to be tasty too).
  • Cutlets, an all time fav of my children.(a fine opportunity to sneak in spinach or any other ‘disapproved’ veg readily accepted as a filling ;))
  • As a replacement for my sudden craving for meat cutlets(sob sob) :)


So here goes, ( to yield 10 cutlets)..

You Need:
Soya Chunks-1 cup
Big onions-2 nos
Ginger –an inch piece
Garlic pods- 4 big or 7 small ones
Curry leaves- a few
Coriander powder-1/2 tsp or finely chopped cilantro-a tbsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp(more or less according to your spice level)
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Potato(medium)boiled-3 nos
Salt- as needed
Oil-2 tbsp
Bread crumbs- 3/4 cup or as reqd
*Egg-1 large
Oil-for deep frying

Method:

1. Boil a pan of water(3 to 4 cups).Wash and soak soya.Turn off fire and close the pan with a lid for 20-30 minutes.Ensure the chunks are soaked well and absorbs water by stirring once in 10 minutes.
2. Drain, squeeze out excess water and mince in a mixie.
3. Chop ginger-garlic,onions, green chillies and curry leaves to fine pieces and sauté in that order in 2 tbsps of oil.
4. When the colour turns to light brown, add salt, turmeric,coriander and chilly powders. Saute and mix well.
5. Add the minced Soya chunks and sauté for a few minutes.At this stage the mix resembles scrambled eggs.Sprinkle a few drops of water, cover and cook for 5 more minutes in minimum heat.
6. Add the garam masala, pepper powder and chopped cilantro.Mix well.
7. Add the boiled(preferable microwaved jacket potatoes-peeled and mashed), mix well and remove from fire.
8. When cooled shape into cutlets, dip in beaten eggs, roll in bread crumbs and fry in oil until golden brown in medium fire.
9. Serve hot with onion rings and tomato ketchup.

*For a vegetarian/vegan recipe substitute maida/bengal gram flour batter instead of beaten egg.






Now, off to Sia for JFI- Soya :)...

26 comments:

  1. That looks really good Bharathy, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, just the way I like it... without the soy chunks probably ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just dropped in o say hi!
    will read ur post slowly .. the snap looks yum....
    just got my net connection here. .. yes , i am back home.....bye check on u later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow awesome cutlets. I like the texture, color and pic dear. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have some soya that i bought in a health fit. maybe this is a better use for it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shapes are so perfect and the pic with the cut cutlet has made me really hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Bharathy, I am a huge fan of your blog. I was posting about manga pachadi on my blog, and used a pic of yours. I have of course given you the credit for it, but also wanted to let you know. Keep the good work going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow looks so delicious and makes me hungry....Hmm..enjoy!
    I am back again..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soya cutlets, lovely. These look like the real McCoy.
    I finally bought some soya chunks and I'm making these cutlets soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your soya cutlets looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment on my blog, and for letting me use your pic. The Indian grocery store in my area had ordered too many raw mangoes, and a week later, they were semi-ripe and still not selling. The guy was going to throw them out, and he offered them to me for free. So, I brought them home (18 of them), peeled, cut and them froze them to take out and thaw and use in curries whenever I need. They are half-ripe and slightly sweet, so I think will be ideal for the mango pachadi. :-) Happy Onam to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the crust of the soya cutlet Bharthy..:)

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bharathy, these look so delicious I don't even want to read the recipe! Just want to reach out and grab one off the monitor.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Despite not being a soy fan, this one got me! I'll think of healthy food and use the soya granules languishing somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks cute and in perfect shape...luv them all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soya cutlets looks so crispy and tasty, maybe, this is a healthier form of eating cutlet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, ur soya cutlets r simply amazing. It looks so soft & crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea to use soy this way in cutlets,looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bharathy, now are you sure you didnt buy these? they are perfect! round, brown, you are a pattie master (bow)

    Btw, I hope you are participating this month´s T&T. We re cooking from Monsoon Spice. I have extended the deadline for another 10 days, so please, when you get a chance, I am sure you ll love Sia´s recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Their shape is so perfect, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so tasty! I could sink my teeth right into the screen:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. the cutlets look fabulous....cant believe they're made from soya chunks!! i am going to try them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy and looks good! This recipe is pretty new to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey Bharathy.... Yesterday I had guests at home... n prepared this for snacks:)
    u wont belive thy turned out super duper gud... awwww I was so happy..I was so happy coz all the guests were my hubby's relatives..Jus like "an idea can change ur life" ..tis one cutlet receipe saved me :) :)...all were asking me d receipe (i was selfish thr .. I didnt tel I copied it form ur blog:P but deep inside I thanked YOU..)

    mmmuuah... thanku soooo much...:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks yummy and delicious...i prepared it today..made some small changes..usually i make chicken and beef cutlets.but lent started for us.so i am decided to try this...turned out SUPER..can't believe.Thanks a lot for sharing..will post it on my blog soon...
    expecting more veg recipes from you...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...