Monday, July 9, 2007

Carrot Rice/Carrot Sadham

My previous week was mostly occupied by weddings, guests and childrens’ exams.Surprisingly I found myself spending most of the time in kitchen coming out with lots of food, but less time to browse or blog.And eventually the shorter free-times were utilised to relax or indulge in a tiring nap…

Carrot rice, a much relied on choice in such lazy moods, a nutritious, yet an easy to prepare rice delicacy, is neverthlessly my family’s all time favourite.This particular rice variety does demand a little too much of oil for a richer taste and quality…still..considering the diet consciousness, kindly use the lightest refined oil of your choice, but let it be used a little liberally.

Serves-4,Cooking time-50 minutes.

Ingredients:
400gms/2 cups of Long Grain varietied rice.(I used a year old ponni raw rice.)
A tbsp of fresh ghee or refined oil(to mix with the cooked rice.)
A Cup of freshly grated Carrots
A Cup of Big Onions sliced lengthwise
½ cup of Refined Oil
½ tsp of Mustards
¾ tsp of Urad dal
½ tsp of Turmeric powder
Salt-to taste
A stalk of Curry leaves

To powder,

1/2 cup of Thuar dal / Thuvaram paruppu
1/4 cup  Coriander seeds / Kotha malli
18-20  Red Chillies ( acc to your spice level. I use 25-30 as we love it way, spicier).

Method:
1. Powder the last three listed ingredients in a mixie,raw.

2. Cook rice in salted water or according to the method you prefer.Let the grains be cooked but separate and not sticky.

3. Drain the cooked rice.Transfer rice to a broad flat plate or a wide, shallow container.Cool down to warmth.Add the 2 tbsp ghee or oil and mix gently with the flat end of a ladle or spatula, breaking any lumps during the process.Add salt if you have not added earlier while the rice was cooking.

4. Heat a large broad wok.Add ½ cup oil, splutter the mustards and brown the urad dal.Sauté the onions till translucent, followed by the carrots and the curry leaves.Fry them altogether in a medium flame for a minute. The onions would have acquired a golden brown colour and the carrots, just cooked by now. At this stage the level of the oil should be slightly above the sautéd ingredients.

5. Add 7-8 tsps of the previously prepared powder (Adjust the amt according to suit your taste.Reserve the excess powder for future use..),along with the turmeric powder.Saute for a few more seconds in low flame,just to get rid if the raw flavour of the powders.Turn off the flame, add a little salt, mix well again and transfer this into the cooked rice bowl.

6. Gently blend the ingredients well with the rice with a ladle or using fingers until the grains are coated uniformly.

7. Heat the required quantity of carrot rice in the same wok, used for frying, and serve hot with onion or cucumber raitha.

30 comments:

  1. Hi Bharathy,great dishes! Love the Raita too to go with healthy Carrot Rice.Hope you having fun Summer.
    I was on vacation,good to be back.See you at FH:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Carrot rice with raitha looks like a good combination!! Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy carrot rice, your version is more like jhat-pat:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, ur carrot rice looks so good, lovely color :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I cud gobble it all by myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would prefer such meals during my weekends. looks lovely and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple elegant beauty
    wud luv to try it once
    luv the shot

    www.talimpu.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bharathy,
    vaayil vellam varunnu.....
    thanks for the recipe!
    I'm blog rolling you , ok?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Bharthi,
    Lovely recipe.I must say you are getting better in photograpy day by day my dear.Really lovely the contrast color looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy recipe Bharathy. i love carrot rice its simple delicious. you have been tagged check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see you back Bharathy :)
    Spicy carrot rice with cool raita. Nice combo. I love such meals. This podi is nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bharathy! elegant recipe. Lovely color. I want to try this healthy recipe. Thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i did it again. came to check ur blog when i am hungry! carrot rice with raita looks very comforting. wish i could taste it rt now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrot rice and raita seems like the perfect weekend meal! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bharthy,

    Carrot rice is something new to me, but seems very easy and delicious...My hubby's favourite veggie too..so i'l try this for sure.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is looking perfect.....Nice picture...Waiting to try this out...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey B, that looks great... I've never had carrot rice, but the colors on this dish is tempting... yummy... hope you are all relaxed by now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Bharathy....

    Unique & rare dish..Thanks..

    u ve written a lovely comment on my blog bharathy,many thanks...
    i thought of entrying into comment boxes After developing my blog completely..now i changed my decision..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ur blog name is only Spicy,,,

    but u r sweet.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. EACH AND EVERY COMMENT IS APPRECIATED PERSONALLY..EVERY WORD IS IMP AND PRECIOUS..I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO JOT MY FEED BACK TO YOUR VALUABLE COMMENTS HERE AS I'M ON AN URGENT BREAK TO MY MOM'S PLACE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS..:)

    Thanx a lot for your visits and feed back,friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great rice dish...looks so lovely....i must try it...thx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi bharathy,
    sorry for my late comments.Carrot sadam looks yummy and the raitha looks rich thick curd.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bookmarked! I am definitely going to make this.

    Kanchana

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Bharathy,
    You have been tagged!
    http://tastypalettes.blogspot.com/2007/07/meme-7-random-facts-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi bharathy.....

    u r trying hard to upkeep me,,, thanks,,,i think v r using comment box as gtalk,,here is my mail ID,,, jsobila@gmail.com.Once u return back pls let me know,
    have a nice trip....njoy..

    bye

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bharathy,

    I saw this pic participating this month´s DMBLGIT. Good pick, girl, I am holding my fingers crossed fr you. Hope you win

    ReplyDelete
  27. hiii,i tried ur carrot rice yesterdy,it was nice n simple.thanks for encouraging me.trying to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bharathy,

    Just made this today for a dinner party! It was awesome, thanks for the recipe girl!

    Kanchana

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey i tried this dish today, and it is delicious.Love it.thx for posting such good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the recipe. Tried today. It tasted very nice :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...